Volusia ARES Meeting
October 19, 2013
Fire Training Academy: 1500 hrs
Call to Order W4CFH
Shelter Antenna Survey W4CFH
ICS Forms W4CFH
Open Forum All
Chuck Hennis W4CFH Volusia County ARES AEC/RO
Today, a number of AECS and myself met to discuss the future of Volusia ARES. These are the immediate steps that we have agreed to take:
1) With the exception of Field Day, Volusia ARES will cease ham radio testing indefinitely including for this month;
2) The September Vol ARES meeting is cancelled expect the meeting in Oct. to be on the 19th
3) Chuck, W4CFH, will meet with Jim Judge, director of Volusia County Emergency Management, to determine the EOC’s interest in having ham radio for back up communications during an emergency and the exact mission for the group. The results of that meeting will determine whether Volusia ARES will either continue in its present form, or become part of the new Volusia Community Organizations Active in Disaster (COAD);
4) If the Volusia County Emergency Management has little or no role for ARES/RACES, we will consider finding another served agency or agencies such as hospitals, local city EOCS, Red Cross, etc.;
5) Vol ARES will continue to hold the weekly nets at least until the end of the hurricane season.
Updates will continue to be provided as we learn what the future holds for the group. I want to thank those who continue to support Vol ARES and the overall ARES mission.
East Coast District Emergency Coordinator
With the exception of Field Day, Volusia ARES will no longer offer ham radio testing due to a shortage of Volunteer Emergency Coordinators. Those seeking a ham license or to upgrade a license are encouraged to contact the Daytona Beach Amateur Radio Association which holds tests on a monthly basis.
On July 20, VOL ARES will hold its monthly meeting at the Fire Training Center. This month’s guest is Mike Lee, the new Section Emergency Coordinator for the North Florida Section. Mike will share his vision for the section, and changes that he hopes to implement over the next months. The meeting will start at 3:00 p.m. All are welcome!
On July 20, VOL ARES will hold ham radio licensing tests for those seeking a technician, general or extra class license. For more information, please click on License Testing under the Volusia ARES menu.